Every website showcases content (text, photos, videos, etc.) and the content should naturally include keywords explaining the nature of the website. After a website is created a sitemap is submitted to the search engines to scan the websites in search of these keywords so that they can start ranking the website. When someone types in the keyword to search, the website ideally should pull up in the ranking to be clicked on and viewed.
Goal of SEO
The goal of successful SEO is to have your website become a trusted authority for your set of main keywords and rank on page one to get found.
Having original website content is crucial to a website ranking well in the search engines. Make sure your text embodies the vision for your brand while connecting to the need of your target audience for optimal user experience.
The Basic Website SEO Musts
Let’s lay the groundwork first and make sure that your current site has the SEO basics covered…
- Is responsive, meaning that the website adapts to the device screen it is being viewed on, for the best user experience. Not requiring to pinch or zoom on mobile or tablet.
- Unique page title tags that naturally showcase your keyword/keyword phrases.
- Image alt and title text in a title format that are applicable to the image and include your keywords appropriately.
- Heading titles are used (example: H1, H2, etc.) are used to break up the section and content setting up the topic/service/product for optimal user experience. This also helps the search engines understand what important keywords on the site should be ranked.
- The website navigation is easy to understand and allows for easy accessibility to all website pages.
- Make sure all images are optimized for the web for quick load speed.
- The nature of the website must be concentrated and not diluted with multiple topics or industries that are directly not related. Google needs to know what you specialize in to rank your website. If you offer too many different kinds of products or services you will have multiple keywords confusing the search engines as to how to rank your site, diluting your SEO efforts. For example: you want to go to a doctor that specialized in one area, not one that specialized in multiple completely different areas, it loses credibility as an authority.
Is your website not ranking well?
Every industry is different, some more competitive than others. SEO results vary depending on your competitor’s efforts but if you already have the basics covered and you have allowed an average of 3-6 months for the site to rank with no success you may want to consider beefing up your website. Make sure you are leading with a marketing message that is true to your brand but is highlighting the ideal end result or emotional benefit for your target audience. This will create a better user experience, captivating the audience and then guiding them with a proper call to action to naviate the website.
The below suggestions are not only helpful for the site visitor but will also help your SEO since the content will be organically infused with keywords.
- Update your social media accounts consistently so Google knows you are alive and kicking. Your social media profiles are linked to your website creating a web on the web. Google is watching to see if you should be ranked as the authority for your keywords so updating regularly helps plant these seeds.
- Add a separate Testimonials, FAQ and/or How it Works page to guide the site visitor to better understand the nature of what you do and build confidence that you can do it well for them.
- Create separate pages for services or products that are showcased on one page currently. Each individual page will focus specifically on a set of keywords that will help your SEO.
- Reassess the layout and priority of the homepage content somewhat regularly to optimize the user experience. This can apply for seasonal specials or as the world and needs of your customers change. Stay relevant and rank higher.
Final take away…
Consistently keep your website and all profiles fresh with original content while always keeping your target audience in mind to rank better organically in the search engines.